This delicious fall recipe for Cider Spiced Onions is shared by our friends at the National Onion Association. It brings new life to traditional white boiler onions. Prepared to be bite tender, the onions are served with an autumn spice blend made with apple jelly, spicy mustard, ginger root, cornstarch and apple cider.
- 2 pounds white boiler onions, peeled
- 3 tablespoons apple jelly
- 2 tablespoons spicy mustard
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger root
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 Place onions in a 1-1/2 to 2-quart microwave-safe baking dish.
- 2 Add 1-inch of water, cover dish with lid or transparent wrap and cook at high power until onions are fork-tender.
- 3 Meanwhile, combine apple jelly, mustard, ginger root, vinegar, and cornstarch in a saucepan. Stir with wire whisk until blended.
- 4 Stir in apple cider and cook, stirring over medium heat, until sauce is thickened and comes to boil.
- 5 Drain onions and serve with sauce.
- Calories 168
- Carbohydrates 39
- Fat 1
- Fat Calories 5
- Cholesterol 0
- Sodium 113
- Fiber 4