See this recipe from Antonio Ortuno for a great way to cook clams at home.
- 21/4 lb clams (or mussels)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup water
- Piece of chili (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 Wash the clams in running water. (If using mussels, scrub them and remove beards.)
- 2 Discard any shells that are opened or cracked.
- 3 In a deep frying pan heat the oil and sauté the onion and garlic until onion is softened.
- 4 Stir in the flour, then add the clams.
- 5 On a high heat, add the wine, water, and bay leaf.
- 6 Cover the pan and shake the pan until the clam shells open. This takes 3-4 minutes.
- 7 Remove from heat when most of the shells have opened.
- 8 Pour into a serving dish and top with chopped parsley.
- 9 Serve with chunks of bread.