Recipe Courtesy of Cooking.com
What fall feast would be complete without an apple pie? Serve it warm a la mode or room temperature with fresh cream.
Facts per Serving
Calories: 608 Fat, Total: 35g Carbohydrates, Total: 71g
Cholesterol: 47mg Sodium: 334mg Protein: 5g
Fiber: 4g % Cal. from Fat: 52% % Cal. from Carbs: 47%
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup firmly packed golden brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 8 cups sliced, peeled, cored Pippin or Granny Smith apples (about 7 medium)
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 RECIPE, 2 DISKS, BASIC FLAKY PIE CRUST DOUGH:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 rounded tablespoon sugar
- 1 rounded teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2/3 cup frozen vegetable shortening, cut into pieces
- 4-6 tablespoons ice water
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 Preheat oven to 375ºF and position rack in bottom.
- 2 Combine 1/2 cup sugar, brown sugar, flour, teaspoons cinnamon, cloves and salt in large bowl. Add apples and butter and toss well.
- 3 BASIC FLAKY PIE CRUST DOUGH: Combine flour, sugar and salt in food processor; pulse to blend. Add butter and shortening and cut into flour mixture using on/off turns. When mixture resemble coarse meal, transfer to large bowl.
- 4 Combine 4 tablespoons ice water and cider vinegar in small bowl; pour over flour mixture. Stir with fork until moist clumps form, adding additional 2 tablespoons ice water if necessary.
- 5 Gather dough into 2 balls and flatten balls into disks. Wrap in plastic and chill 30 minutes or up to 4 days. Well-wrapped dough can be frozen up to 2 weeks. Allow dough to soften slightly at room temperature before continuing.
- 6 Roll 1 disk out on lightly floured surface to 12-inch round. Roll dough up on rolling pin and transfer to 9-inch Pyrex pie plate. Trim edges.
- 7 Spoon filling evenly into crust, mounding slightly in center. Roll second disk out on lightly floured surface to 12 inch round. Roll up on rolling pin and transfer to top of apples.
- 8 Trim edges to 3/4 -inch overhang. Turn top edge under bottom. Crimp edges decoratively. Cut several slits in crust to allow steam to escape. Place pie on heavy baking sheet.
- 9 Stir remaining 1 tablespoon sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon to combine in small bowl. Sprinkle over top of crust. Bake until pie is golden brown, juices bubble thickly in center and apples are tender, about 1 1/2 hours.