A chilled shrimp cocktail makes for a delightful outdoor appetizer. This cocktail sauce recipe is really four recipes in one. You can choose to make your sauce in the “classic” style, or give it a Southwestern, Asian, or Buffalo accent.
Recipe courtesy of the Horseradish Information Council in celebration of National Horseradish Month (July).
More about horseradish —and more recipes.
- 1 jar (10 ounces) chili sauce
- 2-3 teaspoons prepared horseradish, to taste
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Combine all ingredients and refrigerate until ready to use. Serve with chilled, cooked shrimp.
- 2 For Southwest Cocktail Sauce Add 1 teaspoon cumin, juice of 1/2 lime (omit lemon juice), 1 teaspoon chopped, fresh cilantro. This sauce goes great with tortilla chips or as a condiment for your favorite Mexican and Southwestern dishes.
- 3 For Asian Cocktail Sauce Add 1 teaspoon soy sauce, 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds, 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root. An excellent choice for egg rolls or sushi.
- 4 For Buffalo Cocktail Sauce Add 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce, 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese, freshly ground black pepper. Try as a complement to your favorite chicken wing recipe.