Keep a can of chickpeas in your pantry for when you have unexpected guests. You can easily prepare hummus, a Middle Eastern chickpea dip.
Recipe courtesy of McCormick®.
Substitution Tip: Prepare as directed, using 2 teaspoons McCormick® Garlic Powder in place of the Minced Garlic. Add 1/3 cup reserved chickpea liquid.
Tahini Hummus: Stir in 2 tablespoons tahini (sesame seed paste).
Bruschetta with Hummus and Roasted Red Pepper: Spread Bruschetta Toasts with hummus. Top each with a shaving of Manchego cheese and a strip of roasted red pepper.
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon McCormick® California Style Minced Garlic made from Fresh Garlic
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Cumin, Ground
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Red Pepper, Crushed or 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Red Pepper, Ground
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Garnishes such as chopped green onions, chopped olives and chopped tomato (optional)
- 1 Drain chickpeas, reserving 1/4 cup of the liquid. Place chickpeas, garlic, lemon juice, cumin, red pepper and salt in food processor; cover. Process until smooth, scraping down sides as necessary. Add reserved liquid; process until smooth.
- 2 Drizzle hummus with olive oil. Garnish with toppings as desired. Serve with pita chips or warm pita wedges. Store hummus in airtight container in refrigerator up to 2 days.