Making sugar cookies with cookie cutters is such a fun and special time especially during the holiday season with friends and family. For our picture, we made these in a star-shaped mold using a Wilton baking pan, but they can also be rolled out thin and made the traditional way with cookie cutters.
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 4 teaspoons milk
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- ICING (Optional):
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 Cream shortening, sugar, and vanilla.
- 2 Add egg and beat till light and fluffy.
- 3 Add milk and stir together.
- 4 Sift together flour, baking powder and salt and mix into mixture.
- 5 Divide dough in half.
- 6 Chill 1 hour.
- 7 Roll out on floured surface to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut with cookie cutters.
- 8 Bake on greased cookie sheet at 350ºF 6-8 minutes.
- 9 To ice, simply mix the powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon milk and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla together. If you want a thinner consistency, just add a few drops more of milk.