A decadent and rich appetizer that embodies the creamy goodness of carrot soup in a single serving shot glass.
Excerpted from INSTYLE Parties by the Editors of INSTYLE. Copyright © 2017 Oxmoor House. Reprinted with permission from Time Inc. Books, a division of Meredith Corporation. New York, NY. All rights reserved.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups sliced peeled carrots (about 1 pound)
- 1/2 cup sliced Vidalia or other sweet onion (from 1 small onion)
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 3 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup finely chopped salted, roasted pistachios
- 1 Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high. Add the carrots, onion slices, and thyme sprigs, and cover. Reduce the heat to medium, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables just begin to soften, about 8 minutes
- 2 Stir in the stock, salt, and pepper. Cover and cook until the carrots and onions are very soft, about 10 minutes. Remove and discard the thyme sprigs
- 3 Transfer the mixture to a blender, and add the cream. Remove the centerpiece of the blender lid (to allow the steam to escape); secure the lid on the blender, and place a clean towel over the opening in the lid. Process until smooth
- 4 Divide the soup among the shot glasses, and sprinkle with the pistachios before serving