These crispy onion rings are made with a homemade seasoned flour made with brown sugar, chili powder, cumin and more. Deep fry these Crispy Barbecue Onions and serve them with a steak and some barbecue beans for a great weeknight meal.
Recipe and image provided by the National Onion Association.
- 1 lb. onions, red or yellow, cut into 1/8" rings
- Hot oil in fryer
- 3 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons paprika
- 1 Mix all dry ingredients together.
- 2 Toss onion slices in seasoned flour, separating rings.
- 3 Deep fry in 365-degree oil until crispy and dark brown. Drain well.