Crockpot Swiss Steak Recipe. Do your prep work the night before, then throw all the ingredients in the crockpot in the morning. Leave it and forget it – until it’s time to eat dinner – then you have a delectable Swiss Steak.
This recipe courtesy of Recipe Goldmine and the Texas Beef Council.
Starch Exchange: 1 1/2; Lean Meat Exchange: 4; Calories: 265; Calories from Fat: 54; Total Fat: 6g; Saturated Fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 84mg; Sodium: 296mg; Carbohydrate: 23g; Dietary Fiber: 3 g; Sugars: 7 g; Protein: 30 g.
- 1 1/2 pounds beef round or shoulder steaks, cut 1/4-inch thick
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup finely chopped carrots
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup finely chopped bell pepper
- 1/2 cup medium picante sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 12 ounces farfalle (bow-tie) pasta, cooked
- 1 The night before serving: Prepare vegetables and combine with picante sauce, ketchup and vinegar; refrigerate in a sealed container. Trim fat from beef steaks and cut into 6 pieces. Wrap and refrigerate.
- 2 In the morning: Transfer steaks to the crock pot and top with vegetable mixture. Add water. Cover and cook on low for 10-11 hours. Thicken by adding 1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon water. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve over cooked pasta.
- 3 To boost the fiber content, try whole wheat pasta.