Double Chocolate Cream Pie Recipe
Cooking Light Complete Cookbook: A Fresh New Way to Cook (Cooking Light) comes in a five-ring binder with an assortment of colorful tabs – healthy cooking, entertaining, and in season are there, in addition to the more usual categories. It features more than 1,200 recipes, with more than 600 photos.
See our review of the full cookbook here.
CALORIES: 271 (28% from fat); FAT 8.4 grams (saturated 4 grams, monounsaturated 2.2 grams, polysaturated 1.4 grams); PROTEIN 4.9 grams; CARBOHYRATES 43.9 grams; FIBER 1.1 grams; CHOLESTEROL 32 milligrams; IRON 1.1 milligrams; SODIUM 151 milligrams; CALCIUM 66 milligrams
- Crust: 1/2 (15-ounce) package refrigerated pie dough (such as Pillsbury) or Baked Piecrust (page 248 of Cooking Light Complete Cookbook)
- Filling: 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 ounces semisweet chocolate, grated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed
- 1 Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2 Prepare and bake piecrust in a 9-inch pie plate. Cool crust completely on a wire rack.
- 3 To prepare filling, combine sugar, cocoa, cornstarch, salt, and milk in a medium saucepan; stir well with a whisk. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly; cook 1 minute. Gradually add 1/3 cup hot milk mixture to egg, stirring constantly with a whisk. Return egg mixture to pan. Cook 2 minutes or until egg mixture thickens, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; add grated chocolate, stirring until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth. Stir in vanilla. Spoon mixture into prepared crust. Cover surface of filling with plastic wrap. Chill until set (about 2 hours). Remove plastic wrap; spread whipped topping evenly over filling. Yield: 10 servings (serving size: 1 wedge).