Hollow out your bell peppers and stuff with ground beef mixture for a hearty dinner. To add color and variety to the meal, use red, yellow and green bell peppers.
This recipe courtesy of Recipe Goldmine and the Texas Beef Council.
Nutrition info: per serving, using 95% lean ground beef: Calories 294, Total Fat 7g, Saturated Fat 3g, Cholesterol 76mg, Protein 28g, Carbohydrate 30g, Iron 5mg, Zinc 7mg, Sodium 776mg, Potassium 507mg, Calcium 61mg, Vitamin C 120mg, Vitamin A 136RE, Vitamin B12 2ug
- 1 pound lean ground beef or 1 package fully cooked ground beef
- 4 medium green, red or yellow bell peppers
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup uncooked rice
- 3 tablespoons catsup, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Italian-style stewed tomatoes, drained
- 1 Cut tops off bell peppers; remove seeds and membrane. Combine ground beef, onion, rice, 2 tablespoons catsup, 1/2 teaspoon oregano, salt and pepper, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Spoon an equal amount of meat mixture into each bell pepper. Place in 8-inch square baking dish.
- 2 Combine tomatoes, remaining catsup and remaining oregano; pour over stuffed peppers. Cover baking dish tightly with foil. Bake in 350°F oven for 1 1/2 hours.
- 3 TIP: Four large zucchini or yellow squash may be substituted for the bell peppers. (Reduce cooking time by about 15 minutes.)