This quick pasta dish makes a satisfying dinner and leftovers can be re-purposed in a variety of ways: scooped into ramekins with a sprinkle of shredded cheese on top for an easy baked pasta, or used as a base for frittatas or muffins.
This recipe is courtesy of Pasta Fits.
- 8 ounces whole wheat elbow macaroni
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/3 cup prepared basil pesto
- 3 cups chopped zucchini
- 3 cups small broccoli florets
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 In large pot of boiling water, cook macaroni according to package directions, adding peas in the last minute of cooking. Drain, reserving 2/3 cup cooking liquid.
- 2 Meanwhile, in large skillet set over medium heat, heat pesto and 1/3 cup cooking liquid; cook zucchini, broccoli, onion and red pepper, covered, for about 3 minutes or until vegetables are tender-crisp.
- 3 Add macaroni and remaining cooking liquid to skillet; toss until macaroni is coated and vegetables are tender. Stir in Parmesan cheese.
- 1 Substitute sun-dried tomato pesto or olive tapenade for basil pesto if desired.
- 2 For added protein, add cooked chickpeas, lentils or white beans.