This recipe for Fig and Walnut Yogurt Tarts is another from the Diabetes Superfoods Cookbook and Meal Planner from the American Diabetes Association. These beautiful yet simple tarts can be served as an appetizer or a snack.
The co-authors are registered dietitians and provide more than 110 recipes that are simple to create and contain at least one diabetes superfood ingredient. These are defined as foods rich in nutrients that benefit diabetes management or that are typically lacking in the American diet. —Editor
- 2 ounces crumbled goat cheese
- 1/4 cup nonfat, plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed clementine or orange juice
- 12 mini phyllo shells
- 4 mint leaves, each cut into 3 pieces
- 4 large figs (about 2-1/2 inches in diameter), each cut into 3 pieces
- 12 walnut halves
- 1 In a mixing bowl, mix goat cheese, yogurt and orange juice together.
- 2 Fill each phyllo shell with 1 tablespoon cheese mixture.
- 3 Top each with 1 piece of mint leaf, a walnut half and a fig piece.
- 4 Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.