- 4 slices whole-wheat Italian bread
- 1 medium zucchini, ends trimmed and sliced very thin long ways
- 1 medium tomato, sliced thin
- 3 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 8 fresh basil leaves
- unsalted butter for cooking
- kosher salt to taste
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 Preheat large-sized sauté pan over medium heat.
- 2 Lay two of the bread slices down on a cutting board to assemble sandwich. Evenly distribute half of the cheese over each of the two slices of bread. Season the cheese lightly with salt and pepper. Add the thin sliced zucchini on top of the cheese on the two bread slices. Next, add basil leaves and sliced tomato on top of the zucchini. Finally, add the remaining cheese to the top of the sliced tomato. Top the sandwich with the remaining two slices of bread.
- 3 To cook sandwiches, place several small pads of butter on the top side of each sandwich. Place each sandwich butter side down in the sauté pan. Add several small butter pads to the unbuttered side of each sandwich. Cook sandwich for 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and melted. Remove sandwiches from pan and let cool slightly. Use a serrated knife to cut sandwiches in half. Serve warm.