Recipe Courtesy of Cooking.com.
Here is a version of authentic yardbird, otherwise known as Southern fried chicken.
Facts per Serving
Calories: 427 Fat, Total: 12g Carbohydrates, Total: 36g
Cholesterol: 115mg Sodium: 598mg Protein: 40g
Fiber: 1g % Cal. from Fat: 25% % Cal. from Carbs: 34%
- 1 whole fresh chicken
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh finely ground black pepper
- Peanut oil (for deep-frying)
- 1 Rinse chicken under cold water. Pat dry with paper towels. Cut chicken into 9 pieces (2 legs, 2 thighs, 2 breasts, 2 wings, and 1 or 2 pieces from the back). Combine the flour, salt and pepper in a large paper bag.
- 2 Add enough oil to a 2-inch-deep cast iron skillet to come 2/3 up sides of skillet (about 2 cups of oil). Heat oil over medium-high heat until deep-fry thermometer registers 350°F. Add 2 chicken pieces to flour mixture in bag; fold bag to enclose. Shake until chicken is well-coated. Transfer coated chicken pieces to rack. Repeat with remaining chicken pieces.
- 3 Using tongs, carefully add chicken legs and thighs to hot oil. Fry until chicken is golden on the outside, and chicken is cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer fried chicken to clean dry towels on rack to drain. Repeat with remaining breast, wing and back pieces (breasts will be done in about 3 minutes per side). Sprinkle fried chicken with salt and pepper. Transfer to platter and serve immediately.
- 4 NOTE:For a crispier crust, mix 2 large eggs with 1 tablespoon water in large bowl. Add the chicken pieces and soak them before coating with flour mixture.