Fried Pickles Recipe. Fried pickles bring memories of county fairs and hot summer days. This southern specialty is delicious with barbecue.
Recipe courtesy of Chinet.
- 16 ounces whole dill pickles (1 jar)
- 1 Cup buttermilk
- 2 Tablespoons hot red pepper sauce
- 1 Cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 Tablespoons season salt
- 4 Cups vegetable oil for frying
- Salt to taste
- 1 Drain the pickles in a colander, then spread on paper towels to drain completely.
- 2 Combine the buttermilk and hot sauce in a bowl.
- 3 In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, and 2 tablespoons of season salt.
- 4 Heat the oil in a medium pot to 350 degrees.
- 5 Submerge the pickles in batches in the buttermilk, then dip into the flour mixture, tossing to evenly coat. Shake in a strainer to remove any excess batter.
- 6 Add to the oil in batches, turning, until golden brown and crisp, about 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels, and season with season salt, to taste. Repeat with the remaining ingredients. Serve hot.