The slivers of garlic infuse the beef with a rich, garlicky flavor.
- 7 pound Beef Premium Oven Roast (Prime Rib, Strip Loin or Rib Roast)
- 8 cloves garlic, cut into thin slivers
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce or grainy mustard (optional)
- Salt and Pepper
- Simple Pan Gravy
- 1 Cut shallow slits all over roast; insert garlic slivers into slits. Rub all over with Worcestershire sauce or pat roast dry with paper toweling and season with salt and pepper.
- 2 Place roast, bones down, on rack in shallow roasting pan. Insert oven-safe meat thermometer into center of roast. Roast, uncovered, in 450°F oven for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 275°F; roast until thermometer reads 135°F for medium-rare to medium, about 2-3/4 to 3-1/4 hours.
- 3 Remove from oven. Cover loosely with foil and let stand for 15 to 30 minutes before carving. Make Simple Pan Gravy (if desired).
- 4 SIMPLE PAN SAUCE/GRAVY: Heat roast drippings over medium-high heat; add splash of red wine, stirring up any browned bits from bottom of pan.
- 5 Stir in 2 cups beef broth. Strain (if desired) and skim off any fat; return to pan.
- 6 Thicken by cooking until broth reduces (an au jus-style sauce) or thicken by stirring in a cornstarch/cold water mixture for more of a gravy.
- 7 Season to taste.
- 8 Add splash of heavy cream and/or balsamic or wine vinegar to taste, if desired.