More like a cake than a pancake. Inverted for the serve, this “showy” and delicious hot apple breakfast treat is topped with a dollop of homemade vanilla whipped cream and chopped pecans.
Why Try? There’s outstanding versatility with this dish–fine as a breakfast treat or hearty dessert.
- 3 large apples, peeled, cored and cut into wedges 1/2 inch thick
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 5 Large Eggs
- 1/3 cup all-purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 1/2 cup Chopped Pecans
- 2 tablespoons real vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 tablespoon Cinnamon
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon Sugar
- Pinch of fine Sea Salt
- 1 In a blender, combine eggs, 1 tablespoon vanilla & the 1/3 cup sugar, blend until combined (about 10 seconds). Add flour, baking powder & salt and blend until smooth (about 10 seconds) more.
- 2 Preheat oven to 350ºF. Melt butter in 9" or 10" ovenproof, nonstick frying pan over medium heat.
- 3 Add apples & sauté, stirring occasionally until softened (approx. 5 minutes). Sprinkle apples with cinnamon & remaining 1 tablespoon granulated sugar & sauté until apples are glazed (approx. 2 minutes).
- 4 Sprinkle in the pecans. Spread out the apples evenly in the frying pan & slowly pour the batter over the top, so that the apples stay in place. Reduce heat to medium-low & cook until bottom is firm (about 10 minutes).
- 5 Transfer pan to oven & cook until pancake top is firm (approx. 10 minutes).
- 6 Remove pan from the oven and carefully invert the pancake by holding the pan & a flat plate together and turning upside down. Lift the pan off the cake! Cut the pancake into 3 or 4 wedges and transfer to individual warmed plates or keep on 1 large plate for serving family style. While hot, add a dollop of fresh vanilla whipped cream.
- 7 To make vanilla whipped cream simply add whipping cream and 1 tablespoon real vanilla into a large chilled bowl and whisk until desired thickened consistency.