Nothing says the holidays quite like gingerbread cookies. As the cookies bake, they fill the house with the fragrant aroma of cinnamon, ginger and rich sweet molasses. We kept our cookie decorations simple but feel free to get creative with decorative icing, sprinkles and small candy toppings.
See our Gingerbread story, too! It explains how this recipe was inspired by Hallmark Channel’s movie, ‘Tis the Season for Love. Catch the movie this season while you are baking a batch of these cookies to share!
- 1/2cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2/3cup molasses
- 1 egg, large
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 Combine butter and shortening in mixing bowl fitted with the paddle attachment; mix on medium speed until smooth.
- 2 Add brown sugar, molasses and egg; mix for 2 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- 3 In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, spices and salt.
- 4 Remove mixing bowl from stand; slowly add flour mixture and stir by hand until just blended, taking care not to overwork the dough.
- 5 Divide dough into thirds; shape each into a flat round disc, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm.
- 6 Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 7 Working with 1 disc at a time, roll out the dough to desired thickness on a surface lightly dusted with flour.
- 8 Cut out shapes with a cookie cutter; transfer to ungreased cookie sheets.
- 9 Bake cookies for 8 to 10 minutes.
- 10 Repeat with remaining chilled dough.
- 11 Decorate cooled cookies if desired.