This pasta penne has a creamy tomato sauce that beautifully enhances the flavor of goat cheese.
To follow along with this recipe in the lastest episode of the Food Guru, click here.
- 2 cups penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4-6 garlic cloves peeled & thinly sliced
- 1/2 of medium-large onion thinly sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 1 cup chopped broccoli florets
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes; julienne cut (packed in oil).
- 1/3 cup goat cheese
- 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- 2-3 basil leaves, thinly sliced, or 2 teaspoons prepared pesto sauce
- ground black pepper
- 1 Heat olive oil in a large frying pan on medium-high for about 1 minute.
- 2 Add sliced onions and garlic and reduce temperature to medium-low.
- 3 Add the red chili pepper flakes.
- 4 Saute for about 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until garlic and onions caramelize.
- 5 While the onions and garlic cook, fill a large pot 2/3 full with water and bring to a boil.
- 6 Add pasta and cook about 9 minutes to al dente (slightly underdone).
- 7 Add the chopped broccoli florets and sundried tomato to the pot.
- 8 Continue cooking for one minute (10 minutes total).
- 9 Remove from heat and drain in a strainer.
- 10 Add drained penne, broccoli, & sun-dried tomato to the pan with the caramelized onions & garlic and stir to mix (if using pesto sauce, add now).
- 11 Pour in white wine and heat on medium-high, stirring until the wine evaporates.
- 12 Remove the pan from the heat.
- 13 Add the goat cheese and toss until melted.
- 14 Season with several grinds of salt and black pepper.
- 15 Spoon into bowls and garnish with grated Parmesan cheese & slices of fresh basil.
- 16 Serve immediately.