The Food Channel has recreated this Classic Cheese and Veggie Omelette as seen in The Gourmet Detective on Hallmark Movie and Mystery Channel, adapted from the book by Peter King. Now you can solve the mystery in your own kitchen! You can catch the movie, starring Dylan Neal and Brooke Burns, on the Hallmark Movies and Mysteries Channel, and find related recipes and more of the story right here on The Food Channel!
To make this omelette just like the Gourmet Detective does in Maggie’s home kitchen, just follow these tips and you will see how it all comes together! Be sure to assemble all of your ingredients and tools before you start cooking, as the omelettes go together quickly. Just like in the movie, we added tender-crisp sautéed zucchini, minced green onions and fresh diced tomatoes to this classic cheese omelette–of course, you can get creative with your own choices, such as lightly steamed asparagus and Italian fontina cheese or crisp crumbled bacon and Swiss cheese.
Watch the demonstration video by clicking here.
- 6 medium eggs
- Salt and black pepper, as needed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup thin-sliced zucchini, sautéed
- 2 tablespoons diced tomato
- 1 tablespoon minced green onion
- ½ cup shredded white Cheddar cheese
- 1 For each omelette: crack 3 eggs into a bowl and whisk until blended; season with fresh-ground salt and black pepper.
- 2 Melt 1 tablespoon unsalted butter until foamy over medium heat in a small nonstick skillet.
- 3 Pour eggs into skillet.
- 4 Using a spatula, gently move cooked eggs from the outer edges of skillet to the center, tilting the skillet to swirl uncooked eggs to outer edges of pan.
- 5 Continue for 1 to 2 minutes, or until eggs have set.
- 6 The eggs should still be soft on the top, but will continue cooking off the heat.
- 7 Top with 1/4 cup sautéed zucchini, 1 tablespoon diced tomato and 1/2 tablespoon green onion.
- 8 Hand shred about 1/4 cup cheese over the top of the omelette.
- 9 Run your spatula around outer edge to loosen eggs; using a spatula, fold the omelette in half.
- 10 Gently slide the omelette onto a plate.
- 11 Repeat with additional omelettes until everyone is served.