Yes, we grilled the romaine lettuce for this Grilled Caesar Salad and it was delicious! The grill adds an unexpected smoky flavor accent to romaine lettuce hearts, that pairs perfectly with steaks or burgers on the grill.
You can also serve this delicious Grilled Caesar Salad as an entrée, topped with grilled diagonal-sliced chicken breasts filets for the perfect summer dinner.
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon anchovy paste (optional)
- 3 lemons, juiced (about 9 tablespoons)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 heads romaine lettuce, washed, trimmed and cut into quarters
- Olive oil, as needed
- Kosher salt, as needed
- Freshly ground black pepper, as needed
- 3 (3/4-inch thick) slices baguette
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shaved
- 1 To Prepare Dressing:
- 2 Combine mayonnaise, mustard, garlic, anchovy paste, lemon juice, salt, and pepper into the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Process until smooth. While still running, slowly pour the olive oil through the feeder tube until blended. Add grated Parmesan cheese and pulse 3 times to blend. Remove from processor bowl and reserve.
- 3 For Grilled Romaine:
- 4 Heat grill, charcoal or gas grill to medium heat. Arrange romaine lettuce quarters on a sheet pan; brush cut sides lightly with olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 5 Grill romaine wedges, cut side down, for about 1 minute on each side, or until lightly grill-marked. Do not overcook. Arrange evenly on 4 plates.
- 6 Brush baguette slices lightly with olive oil on both sides, grill for 1 minute on each side or until golden. Remove from grill; cut into bite size croutons.
- 7 Drizzle Caesar dressing, as needed, over each salad; garnish with grilled croutons and freshly shaved Parmesan cheese.