A delicious twist on traditional Chicken Shawarma, this grilled Chicken Shawarma is served in a flatbread or pita of your choosing and served with a creamy tarator sauce. Tarator is a tahini-based sauce that perfectly compliments your chicken shawarma wrap.
Want to see how it’s done? We have the video right here!
Thanks to the chefs at Rattan Direct for this recipe.
- 12 chicken thighs, or 6 whole legs, skinned and deboned
- 4 tbsp. vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 pinch celery seed
- 2 tsp white pepper
- 1 tbsp. paprika
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- For The Sauce:
- 1 tbsp. tahini
- Juice of 1 lemon
- For The Sandwich:
- 4 flatbreads
- Cucumber or gherkin, sliced
- Red onion, sliced
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 Marinade the chicken overnight in the vinegar, salt and spices.
- 2 Light the BBQ. For a quick grill like this, you can get away with one of those lighting bags of lumpwood charcoal. Once the flames have died down, spread the coals out and begin grilling immediately. Lumpwood burns out quickly and the chicken can handle this early high heat.
- 3 Grill the chicken, turning and moving around as required. Lumpwood is also more likely than briquettes to heat unevenly so you will need to work with your grill.
- 4 Cook for about 20 minutes or until the chicken is tender.
- 5 Slice the chicken and pile into the bread with onion, pickle, parsley, and sauce.
- 6 Eat whilst still hot.