As Mediterranean cooks know, one secret to delicious grilling is to marinate foods in flavorful liquids, then baste with savory sauces while cooking. Here, a lavender-scented grilling sauce imbues Cornish hens with the taste of Provence.
Recipe courtesy of Williams-Sonoma
- 6 Cornish hens, each 1 /12 pound, halved lengthwise, wings removed at second joint
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Extra-virgin olive oil for brushing
- 1/2 cup LuLu Lavender Honey Grilling Sauce (Available at Williams-Sonoma stores)
- 2 lemons, quartered
- 1 Prepare a medium ﬁre in a grill.
- 2 Season the hens with salt and pepper and brush lightly with olive oil. Arrange the hens, skin side down, on the grill and grill until browned and crisp underneath, about 8 minutes, rotating the hens a quarter turn halfway through cooking to prevent the skin from burning. Turn the hens over, brush with some of the grilling sauce, and continue grilling until well browned underneath and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh, away from the bone, registers 170ºF, about 10 minutes more.
- 3 Turn the hens over and brush with more sauce. Continue grilling, turning the hens as needed to prevent burning, until the sauce is glazed and well browned, 2 to 3 minutes more.
- 4 Transfer the hens to a warmed large platter and garnish with the lemon wedges. Serve immediately.