This recipe for Grilled Onion Cheeseburgers gives you all of the comforting feelings of a classic cheeseburger with the added twist of flavorful grilled onions, garlic, and your favorite crumbly cheese.
Recipe and image provided by the National Onion Association.
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 large yellow or white onions, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1-2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
- 4 white or whole-wheat hamburger buns, or Kaiser rolls, split
- 3 ounces crumbled or shredded cheese (blue cheese, smoked mozzarella, goat cheese, feta, etc.)*
- 1 Combine ground beef, thyme and garlic in medium bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Gently shape into eight 1/2-inch thick patties.
- 2 Brush both sides of onion slices with oil. Place patties and onion slices on grill over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill patties, uncovered, 11 to 13 minutes, turning occasionally.
- 3 Meat should cook to medium doneness (160°F) until no longer pink in center and juices show no pink color. Grill onions 15 to 20 minutes or until tender, turning occasionally and brushing with oil. Season patties with salt and pepper, as desired.
- 4 Add desired cheese to burgers about 1 minute before removing from grill.
- 5 Place cheese-topped burgers on bottom of each bun and top with 1/2 of grilled onions. Close sandwiches.
- 6 *Any type of sliced cheese may also be used to top burgers, including Cheddar, Swiss, provolone and Gouda.