It’s time to start getting ready for Halloween and since this is an occasion that has us usually going overboard on sweets, I thought it best to look for ways to hide some health into some horrific treats!
Halloween is always a fun time because it lets us literally play with our food to turn it into something creepy, like these Black Bean Spaghetti spoons that stare back at you—a spook-tacular way to have some fun and good nutrition, too!
While out searching for something “spooky” I stumbled upon something that works especially-well for Halloween—black bean spaghetti!
Created by Explore Cuisine, this creepy-colored stuff is actually made from black beans, and check this out, the pasta actually boasts 25 grams of protein per 2-ounce serving and, unbelievably, is made from only one single ingredient – organic black beans!
I am very impressed with that and the fact they are vegan, gluten-free, non-GMO and made with 100 percent organic ingredients—you couldn’t ask for more nutrition, especially on Halloween!
With so many people out there with special dietary needs these days—children and adults—this pasta is the perfect solution for what to serve a house-full on this oh-so-hallowed occasion!
One thing that I do like most about black beans in general is that they don’t impart a flavor that interferes but rather assists with other ingredients. This makes it the perfect palate for spices and sauces to dance across with delight while providing nutrients, fiber and protein, turning what can be an empty carb edible into a far more nutritious nibble!
Here now is healthy option to add to your horrific Halloween treats—ENJOY!
- 1 box Explore Cuisine Black Bean Spaghetti, cooked, drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh herbs, finely chopped; such as tarragon, parsley, chives
- To taste salt
- To taste red chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon cooked egg yolk, grated
- hard boiled eggs
- food coloring
- jumbo black olives
- garlic mayonnaise
- unflavored gelatin glaze
- 1 In a medium bowl, combine olive oil with garlic, herbs, salt and chili flakes. Add spaghetti and toss.
- 2 Sprinkle with grated egg yolk. Arrange spaghetti in decorative serving spoons. Place deviled eyes in center.
- 1 Use the larger tube to cut the top of the egg in a circle for the iris. Remove the egg white plug. Paint the egg white plug with diluted food coloring to look like an iris. Let dry.
- 2 Use the smaller tube to cut out a place for the pupil in the painted iris. Use the same tube to cut a pupil out of the black olive. Place the olive pupil into the iris.
- 3 Cut off the bottom third of the egg so it will nestle in the spaghetti spoon. Reserve any hard-boiled egg yolks for spaghetti recipe.
- 4 Scoop out a small amount of the egg yolk from the top of the egg to make room for mayonnaise. Squirt garlic mayonnaise into the hollow top of the hard-boiled egg, and then replace the iris plug.
- 5 Paint food coloring bloodshot lines around the iris. Let dry.
- 6 Finish by brushing a light coat of slightly thickened gelatin glaze over the entire eye to give an authentic glossy finish.