A scarier take on traditional Rice Krispies Treats, Munch-A-Roaches are perfect for Halloween parties, or packed lunches and after-school snacks. Tropical fruit salad and currants boost the nutritional value of this already low-fat treat.
This Recipe Courtesy of Mealtime.org
Per Serving: Calories 93; Total fat 1g; Saturated fat 0g; Cholesterol 4mg; Sodium 80mg; Carbohydrate 19g; Fiber 0g; Protein 1g; Vitamin A 2%DV*; Vitamin C 6%DV; Folate 1%DV; Calcium 0%DV; Iron 2%DV; Potassium 0%DV
- INGREDIENTS: 1 can (15 ounces) tropical fruit salad, drained and finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 package (10 1/2 ounces) mini-marshmallows
- 6 cups crisped rice cereal
- 48 currants or dried blueberries
- 10 licorice laces, any color
- EQUIPMENT: Paper towels
- Large pot
- Baking sheet
- 1 Sandwich the fruit between 2 layers of paper towel and blot away as much moisture as possible.
- 2 Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the marshmallows and stir until melted.
- 3 Remove from heat and stir in fruit and crisped rice cereal until cereal is uniformly moistened. Scrape onto a sheet pan and cool.
- 4 Wet your hands and form cereal mixture into 24 tablespoon size, egg-shaped balls (bodies) and 24, 1 1/2 teaspoon size balls (heads). Stick the heads onto the bodies and decorate with currants or dried blueberries for eyes, and small pieces of licorice for legs and antenna.