Try this recipe for a savory version of a strudel. Ham, cheese and mustard sauce bring a wonderful flavor to this dish.
Recipe Courtesy of Hormel Foods Corporation
- 2 cups diced HORMEL® CURE 81® Ham (12 ounces)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 8 frozen phyllo sheets, thawed
- MUSTARD SAUCE: 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2 In medium bowl, combine ham, cheese, mushrooms, green onions and egg; mix well.
- 3 Place 1 phyllo sheet on cutting board. Brush lightly with butter. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with a damp towel to prevent drying.) Fold sheet in half crosswise; brush with butter. Fold in half crosswise again; brush with butter. Place 1/3 cup of ham mixture in center of sheet. Fold long sides up and over filling, overlapping slightly. Fold into thirds from narrow edge. Place strudel, seam-side-down on ungreased baking sheet. (Cover with damp towel to prevent drying.) Repeat with remaining phyllo, ham mixture and butter.
- 4 Bake 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve strudels with Mustard Sauce.
- 5 MUSTARD SAUCE: In saucepan, combine ingredients. Cook and stir over low heat until warm. occasionally, until warm.