If you love pralines, hazelnuts, and pumpkin, you can’t go wrong with this pie.
Hazelnuts are also called filberts. Look for them in the baking nut section of your local supermarket.
This recipe courtesy of Pioneer Brand, C.H.Guenther & Son, Inc.
Food Processor Method: Place crust ingredients in food processor container. Pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- CRUST:1 cup Pioneer Original or Buttermilk Biscuit & Baking Mix
- 1/4 cup ground hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup shortening
- FILLING:1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin
- 1 cup half & half
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- HAZELNUT PRALINE SAUCE:1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped hazelnuts
- 1 tablespoon half & half
- 1 Combine Pioneer Biscuit & Baking Mix and 1/4 cup ground hazelnuts; using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press in bottom and up side of a 9-inch pie plate; set aside.
- 2 Combine filling ingredients; pour into crust. Bake at 350°F for 40 minutes.
- 3 In a 2-cup glass measure, combine 1/4 cup brown sugar and butter; microwave on High for 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds. Stir in chopped hazelnuts and 1 tablespoon half-and-half. Microwave on High for 1 minute, stirring every 30 seconds.
- 4 Pour sauce over pie; bake 10 minutes more. Cool. Serve with whipped cream, if desired.