“This might be the sneakiest method ever for getting a good dose of winter veggies. Seriously! It’s hard to believe there are beets in this deliciously rich chocolate cake.
Made with raw cacao, coconut flour, cinnamon, and antioxidant-rich honey, Izabela Misiuk’s Heavenly Chocolate Beet Cake tastes nothing short of divine. Healthy eating doesn’t have to be about sacrifice.”
Recipe courtesy of Izabela Misiuk via Primal Kitchen.
- 3 medium beets
- 3 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/2 cup Primal Kitchen® Avocado Oil
- 3 free-range eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 2 scoops Primal Kitchen® Chocolate Coconut Collagen Fuel
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- Pinch of sea salt
For the Chocolate Ganache (optional)
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup coconut cream or double cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened coconut flakes
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (F).
- 2 Wash and remove the stems of the beets.
- 3 Place the beets on tin foil, wrap them tightly, and place them on a baking sheet. Bake for 45 minutes.
- 4 Remove the beets from the oven, unwrap them, and allow them to cool completely. Peel the skin from the beets, and slice them up.
- 5 Preheat the oven to 340 degrees (F), and grease a glass baking dish (8x8).
- 6 Add all the ingredients (including the beets) together in a food processor, and blitz until everything is fully mixed together.
- 7 Pour the batter into the baking dish, and bake for 30 - 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the pan comes out clean.
- 8 Remove the cake from the oven, and leave it to cool for 30 minutes. Once the pan is chilled, generously cover the cake with chocolate ganache.
For the Ganache (optional)
- 1 Combine the raw cocoa, heavy cream, vanilla extract, and butter in a small saucepan.
- 2 Melt the ingredients together, stirring frequently until the mixture is smooth.
- 3 Generously drizzle the sauce over the cake.
- 4 Decorate with desiccated coconut.