A high protein salad, like this Onion, Quinoa and Kale version, can power you through a long day and help recover from your most intense workout sessions!
This delicious, and colorful, salad demonstrates that a healthier diet can be packed with flavor and nutrition.
Recipe and image provided by the National Onion Association.
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon honey Dijon mustard
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups tri-color quinoa, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 white onion, sliced
- 3 cups chopped kale, ribs removed and discarded
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 red skinned apple, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
For the Dressing
- 1 Whisk the vinegar with the oil, lemon juice, honey and mustard until well combined. Set aside.
For the Salad
- 1 Bring the broth and quinoa to a boil. Simmer, covered, for 12 to 15 minutes or until all the broth has been absorbed. Cool completely.
- 2 In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sauté onion for 3 to 5 minutes or until softened. Cool completely.
- 3 In a large bowl toss onion, kale, chicken, apple, salt, and pepper with prepared dressing. Stir in the cooled quinoa. Makes 6 Servings.