Granola is a versatile food loaded with ingredients that may bring health benefits along with the flavor. The grains and oats are great heart-healthy foods that are believed to help lower cholesterol, and the fiber found in granola acts to promote a healthy digestive system. Karen Pavone from Cooking Guru shares one of her favorite recipes that adds even more benefits by combining granola with raw honey and coconut oil.
To see this recipe in action, watch Karen Pavone from Cooking Guru demonstrate the recipe, here.
- 3 cups gluten-free old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup unsalted slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds, raw or toasted & salted
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 cup honey, warmed in microwave for 20 seconds
- 1/4 cup 100% maple syrup
- 1/4 cup organic coconut oil, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- A few grinds of sea salt
- 1 Preheat oven to 250.
- 2 Combine oats, nuts, coconut, and spice in a large bowl and stir to combine.
- 3 In a medium bowl, combine the honey, maple syrup, coconut oil & salt.
- 4 Mix well and pour into the oat mixture while stirring to coat evenly.
- 5 Pour granola onto a large sheet pan lined with parchment paper (to prevent sticking), and spread evenly over the pan in a single layer.
- 6 Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes on the center rack of the oven, stirring every 15 minutes so the granola browns evenly.
- 7 Remove from the oven and let cool. Spoon into a container and seal.
- 8 Store in a cool, dry cupboard.