This is part of our salute-to-summer “Ice Cream Social” layout featuring Emeril Lagasse’s recipe for homemade strawberry ice cream.
Why try? Almost nothing is as heavenly as homemade ice cream—and when you add fresh, in-season strawberries to the mix? Oh, baby.
Foodie Byte: You can easily substitute other fresh fruit that’s in season, such as peaches, raspberries or blackberries.
Check out our Saucy Ice Cream Social feature.
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, washed, stemmed and quartered
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 cups half and half
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split in half and scraped
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 In a blender or food processor, combine the strawberries and 1/2 cup sugar. Blend until smooth.
- 2 In a saucepan, over medium heat, combine the half and half, 1 cup sugar, and vanilla bean. Bring to a simmer.
- 3 In a small mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks until smooth. Add 1 cup of the hot liquid to the egg yolks and whisk until smooth. Add the yolk mixture to the saucepan of liquids and whisk until incorporated.
- 4 Bring the liquid back to simmer and continue to cook for 4 to 6 minutes.
- 5 Remove from the heat and stir in the strawberries. Whisk until smooth.
- 6 Pour the mixture into a glass bowl and place a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of the mixture. Cool the mixture completely.
- 7 Process the mixture according to the ice cream machine instructions.