There is nothing like homemade ice cream, and perhaps the only thing that can make it better is serving homemade cookies with it! Rattan Direct brings us two deliciously paired homemade items that are sandwiched together for absolute perfection.
Want to see how it’s done? We have the video right here!
- FOR STRAWBERRY ICE CREAM
- 4 cups fresh strawberries
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons liquid glucose
- 1 vanilla bean pod
- 10 egg yolks
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- FOR WHITE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
- 2 1/4 cups white flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cups white chocolate chunks
- 1 Remove the stalks from the strawberries and chop into quarters before sprinkling with some of the sugar and the lemon juice. Set them aside whilst you move to the custard.
- 2 Pour the cream and milk into a large saucepan with the vanilla pod and bring almost to the boil. Set aside for the liquid to cool and the vanilla to infuse.
- 3 In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the rest of the sugar and the liquid glucose before adding the now warm milk and cream.
- 4 Pour it all back into the pan and heat very gently until it coats the back of a wooden spoon. The custard does not need to be as thick as you may think. It need only lightly coat the spoon and when you swipe a finger across it the line stays put. Once you are satisfied with the consistency, pour it into a clean bowl and leave to cool. Don’t worry about skin.
- 5 Mash the strawberries and add, with the juice, to the custard. Pour into a lidded container to freeze or follow the instructions for your machine.
- 6 If you are freezing by hand, place the container in a stable part of the freezer and freeze until solid.
- 7 Pre-heat the oven to 180C.
- 8 Using an electric hand whisk or a mixer, beat the butter and the sugars together until pale and creamy. Next, beat in the eggs, salt and vanilla.
- 9 Finally, fold in the flour and chocolate until well combined.
- 10 Drop tablespoons of mixture onto a baking tray, about 6 per tray, and bake in the oven for around 10 minutes.
- 11 The cookies are ready when they are starting to brown at the edges but the center remains pale and soft.
- 12 Remove to a wire rack to cool.
- 13 To serve, sandwich a scoop of ice cream between 2 cookies.