You may have had bulgogi at a Korean restaurant, but it’s easy enough to make at home! We challenged ourselves with making it out of ingredients that don’t require a stop at a specialty store, an came up with this tender and delicious homestyle approach. Pair the meat with rice, tortillas, or eat it with your fingers—it’s that good!
- 1 pound beef stir fry
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon grated garlic (use the pre-grated from the jar)
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1-1/2 teaspoon dried onion
- Several grinds black pepper
- 1 Combine all ingredients in a glass or ceramic mixing bowl, making sure meat is thoroughly covered with the wet ingredients.
- 2 Cover bowl with plastic wrap (not foil) and place in refrigerator to marinate for a minimum of eight hours—feel free to make it the night before and let it marinate until dinner the next night, or even the next.
- 3 When ready to cook, dump all contents into a hot frying pan (no need to add extra oil) OR place meat strips on a hot grill and cook about 20 minutes, or until meat is caramelized.