After all the Hannah Swensen novels we’ve read, we like to think we know all the characters. This recipe for Honey Apple Crisp, from Christmas Cake Murder, gives us the chance to showcase her sister, Michelle’s, baking prowess.
In this retrospective book that gives the backstory to Hannah’s return to Lake Eden after college, we get to know a high school-aged Michelle as well, and find she has a few talents of her own!
This Honey Apple Crisp is great served hot or cold, and it feeds a crowd (or gives you plenty for second day leftovers). Dress it up with ice cream and sprinkled nuts, or eat it as is—you’ll see why Hannah can’t stop thinking about it!
Find our review of the culinary mystery Christmas Cake Murder here.
- 7-8 Graham crackers to line the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch baking pan
- 8-9 cups thinly sliced apples (combination of Granny Smith and Gala, peeled, cored, and sliced as thin as a quarter)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 cup honey (orange blossom or clover)*
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, packed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup salted butter (1 stick)
- Optional Whipped topping or ice cream
- *Tip: spray the inside of your measuring cup with nonstick cooking spray to keep the honey from sticking to the measuring cup.
- 1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, with the rack in middle position.
- 2 Spray 9 x13-inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- 3 Line bottom of pan with graham crackers.
- 4 Spread apple slices over the graham crackers.
- 5 Sprinkle apples with lemon juice.
- 6 Mix the white sugar with cinnamon, nutmeg, and cardamom.
- 7 Sprinkle mixture over the apples.
- 8 Drizzle honey over the apples as evenly as possible.
- 9 In a separate bowl, mix the brown sugar with the flour and salt.
- 10 Melt the butter in a microwave-safe bowl or glass measuring cup for 30 seconds, or until melted; let cool.
- 11 Add melted butter to the flour mixture, and mix it together until it resembles coarse gravel.
- 12 Sprinkle the mixture over the top of the pan.
- 13 Bake at 350 degrees F for 50-60 minutes, until apples are fork-tender.
- 14 Serve warm or cold, adding ice cream or whipped cream if desired.