Don’t miss this terrific spinach dip! It contains creamy avocados, succulent crabmeat . . . and a little kick. Baking it in French bread gives the dip style and finesse, with an easy clean up to boot. Cube the extra bread to serve with the dip, or serve with crackers.
Click here to follow along with the full video.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, drained and squeezed dry
- 1 cup shredded, reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 pound lump or white crabmeat, picked through for shells
- 1 avocado, pitted and chopped
- 1 loaf French bread
- 1 In a nonstick pot, melt butter and add flour, stirring for about 1 minute.
- 2 Add garlic and continue stirring.
- 3 Gradually add half-and-half and milk, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil.
- 4 Add cayenne, mustard, salt, pepper, spinach, and cheese, cooking and stirring until cheese is melted.
- 5 Gently fold in crabmeat and avocado.
- 6 Slice a thin slice off the top of the French bread and scoop out the soft inside bread leaving a shell.
- 7 Fill with crab-spinach mixture, and bake for 20–25 minutes or until bubbly.
- 8 Cover top of bread with foil if it begins to brown.