Hot Paprika Squid with Applewood Bacon and Crispy Garlic makes a great appetizer or main dish, especially for those looking for a new flavor experience.
- 4 slices Applewood Smoked bacon, cut into lardons (strips)
- 6 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 pounds fresh squid, cleaned and sliced into rings, dried on paper towels
- Hot or Sweet paprika
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Freshly pinched cilantro leaves, left whole
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped thyme leaves
- 1 lemon, zested then cut into quarters to serve on plates
- 1 Cook bacon until brown and the fat has been rendered.
- 2 Remove bacon to paper towel to drain.
- 3 Drain grease, reserving for other uses if desired, leaving a couple tablespoons or so in the pan.
- 4 Add the olive oil to the bacon grease, whisk to blend.
- 5 Add garlic slices and fry to a medium golden brown.
- 6 Remove with a slotted spoon onto paper towel and set aside.
- 7 Increase the heat to high and add butter.
- 8 When bubbling hot, add squid and season with plenty of paprika, salt and pepper.
- 9 Cook the squid for 2 to 3 minutes or until just cooked through.
- 10 Add the bacon pieces to warm.
- 11 Place herbs around and serve with the juices drizzled over and around squid.
- 12 Serve hot.