Avocado salsa for dipping brings great flavor and a beautiful look to this plate of chicken wings.
Recipe courtesy of Midwest Living®.
Nutrition facts per serving:
(Servings Per Recipe 4 or 6 main-dish servings or 12 appetizer servings) Calories 637, Total Fat (g) 52, Cholesterol (mg) 181, Sodium (mg) 271, Carbohydrate (g) 15,
Fiber (g) 5, Protein (g) 31.
- 24 chicken wings (about 4 1/2 pounds), tips removed
- 1 12-ounce can cola
- 1 2-ounce bottle hot-pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup cola
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 recipe Avocado Salsa (recipe follows)
- 1 Place the chicken wings in a large, heavy, self-sealing plastic bag set in a shallow dish. Pour the 12-ounce can of cola over the chicken wings. Seal bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or for up to 4 hours, turning bag occasionally. Drain the chicken wings, discarding the cola marinade. Return wings to bag; pour the hot-pepper sauce over the chicken wings. Close bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for 4 to 24 hours, turning bag occasionally. Drain the chicken wings, discarding the hot-pepper sauce marinade.
- 2 In a very large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Cook 12 chicken wings in the hot oil over medium heat till brown on all sides. Remove from skillet; place in a well-greased, foil-lined large roasting pan. Repeat with the remaining chicken wings, adding more oil, if necessary. Reserve the pan drippings. Bake chicken wings in a 450°F oven for 20 minutes or till tender and no longer pink.
- 3 For sauce: In the same skillet, cook and stir garlic over medium heat for 1 minute. Add the 1/4 cup cola. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, stirring occasionally, 1 minute or till liquid is reduced to about 2 tablespoons. Whisk in butter till melted and the sauce is thickened. Keep warm.
- 4 To serve, spoon Avocado Salsa into the center of 4 or 6 dinner plates. Place 4 or 6 of the chicken wings around the salsa. Drizzle the warm sauce over the chicken wings. Makes 4 or 6 main-dish servings or 12 appetizer servings.
- 5 Avocado Salsa: In a medium mixing bowl, combine 2 medium avocados, halved, seeded, peeled and finely chopped; 1 large tomato, finely chopped; 4 green onions, finely chopped; 1/4 cup snipped fresh cilantro; 3 tablespoons rice vinegar; 2 tablespoons lime juice; 2 cloves garlic, minced; 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Cover and chill for 1 to 2 hours. Makes about 2 1/2 cups.