Shawn Bailey’s Game On! recipe for fresh caught trout cooked on an outdoor grill. The wild leeks combine with the natural taste of the trout for one tasty dish! A simple glaze of butter, olive oil, and garlic add to the flavor and keep the fish moist and delicious.
Want to see how it’s done? We have the video right here!
Fun Fish Fact: A 3-ounce broiled farm-raised rainbow trout fillet has about 20.5 grams of protein, versus the same serving size of wild rainbow trout, which has 19.5 grams of protein.
- 1 trout, gutted and cleaned
- Wild leeks, or a bundle of green onions, cleaned and chopped
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 potatoes
- 4 carrots
- 6 parsnips
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon dry minced onion
- 1 tablespoon dry minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, optional
- 1 teaspoon onion powder, optional
- For The Baste:
- 1 stick of butter
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 clove fresh minced garlic
- 1 bunch of parsley, for garnish
- Chopped chives, for garnish
- 1 Dry off the outside of your trout with a paper towel to prevent steaming. Make cuts on your fish about an inch apart.
- 2 Place trout on 2 sheets of overlapped aluminum foil and baste the inside with oil and butter mixture.
- 3 Salt and pepper inside to taste, stuff with leeks or onions.
- 4 Baste again with olive oil, butter, and garlic mix, getting into the cuts. Flip the fish, and repeat.
- 5 Place trout and foil on grill center, cook for 5-6 minutes.
- 6 Grab edges of foil, flip the fish away from you and cover, don't seal. Allow to cook for another 5-6 minutes until your trout is golden brown, with a crispy skin.
- 7 Chop potatoes, carrots, and parsnips.
- 8 Place them in a mixing bowl and drizzle generously with olive oil.
- 9 Salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder to taste and toss the veggies until evenly coated with spices.
- 10 Place in the grill basket or wrap in an aluminum foil pocket and put it on the grill.
- 11 Cook for about 15-20 minutes depending on the temperature of your grill. Make sure they are in a single layer for even cooking. The veggies should be tender when poked with a fork.
- 12 Remove your trout from the grill and place on a bed of parsley. Place your grilled vegetables next to the trout and garnish with chopped chives.