Areppas are corn pancakes that are most commonly found in restaurants and on tables in Venezuela and Columbia. It’s also the name of a popular upscale fast casual Latin-American restaurant in New York City.
You can make authentic homestyle breakfast areppas with a contemporary twist, thanks to the restaurant’s executive chef, and Venezuelan native, Gabriela Machado. She’s handled all the details, from shopping list to cooking instructions. This recipe for Morningstyle Areppas from Chef Machado features corn flour, ham and eggs, beets, tomato and scallions.
- Finely ground corn flour (restaurant recipe calls for Masa Harina)
- Eggs (for scrambling)
- Cow’s milk cheese (restaurant recipe calls for Guyanese cheese)
- Raw beets
Recipe courtesy of Areppas, 954 Third Avenue, New York, NY. Executive Chef: Gabriela Machado.
- 2 1/2 ounces Corn flour, finely ground (restaurant recipe calls for Masa Harina)
- 1 slice Ham
- As desired Cow's milk cheese (restaurant recipe calls for Guyanese cheese)
- 1 Beet, raw
- Pinch Salt
- 1.5 ounces Water
- 1 Egg
- 7 teaspoons Tomatoes, chopped
- 2 teaspoons Scallions
- 1 Peel and dice raw beets, place in the blender with water, oil and salt. Blend until smooth.
- 2 In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the ingredients from the blender and the Masa Harina (corn flour).
- 3 Mix on medium/low heat for 5 minutes, until mixture is homogeneous.
- 4 Cover dough with moist towel and let rest for 10 minutes.
- 5 Once rested, portion dough into 6-ounce balls, flattening each as if making a burger patty, until it's about an inch thick and 4 inches in diameter. The edges should be tapered.
- 6 Set areppas on parchment-lined sheet tray.
- 7 Heat the grill until hot, alternatively, heat the oven to 375F.
- 8 Heat a griddle to medium heat, swirling a little oil on its surface. Cook each arepa on the griddle for 2 minutes on each side. Finish on the hot grill for 5 minutes on each side.
- 9 Alternatively, bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes, until golden and crunchy on the outside. Note: The arepa is baked through when it sounds hollow if tapped in the middle. Remove to a rack to cool.
Egg Perico (Scrambled Egg)
- 1 In medium no-stick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add tomatoes, ham and scallions. Cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2 Meanwhile, in a small bolw, beat eggs and salt. Pour eggs into the skillet with tomato mixture and cook over medium heat, without stirring, until mixture begins to set.
- 3 Stir twice or until the eggs mix with tomato and scallions. Cook about 2 minutes or until eggs are the desired consistency.
- 4 When both the areppas and eggs are complete, open one side of each arepa to form a pocket and stuff scrambled eggs inside.