The Chef’s goal is to share some favorite Mexican soup favorites for you to try at home. This recipe for Iberostar Mexico’s Lime Soup with Chicken is light and refreshing, combining spicy flavors that are balanced with tart lime juice. Enjoy!
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ white onion
- 1 tomato
- 1 chicken breast, deboned
- 3 limes
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1/2 yellow pepper
- ½ green pepper
- ½ red onion
- 3 cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- Pinch salt
- Pinch pepper
- As needed Vegetable oil for frying
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 In a large sauce pan over medium heat, cook the chicken with the white onion and garlic cloves until browned and add salt.
- 2 Cut two limes in half, roast the limes, and add lime juice from one lime to the chicken.
- 3 Cut a lime in slices and set apart.
- 4 Cut tortillas, peppers and red onion in “Julienne” style and set apart.
- 5 Cut the tomato in “Julienne” style and remove seeds.
- 6 Finely chop the garlic.
- 7 Shred the chicken breast.
- 8 Heat the vegetable oil over medium heat and add the red onion, peppers, garlic and tomatoes.
- 9 When the mixture is lightly fried (some signs of browning), add the cilantro and chicken.
- 10 Add four cups of chicken broth, juice of roasted lime and oregano.
- 11 Once the soup begins to boil, reduce the intensity of the heat, cover the pan and let the soup boil for 5 more minutes for a better mixture of flavors. Garnish with lime slices.