Recipe Courtesy of Cooking.com.
These individual lime tarts garnished with lime slices will make you think of the tropics.
Facts per Serving
Calories: 763 Fat, Total: 47g Carbohydrates, Total: 78g
Cholesterol: 324mg Sodium: 103mg Protein: 10g
Fiber: 2g % Cal. from Fat: 55% % Cal. from Carbs: 41%
Cooking.com Tip: To make lime or lemon curd, stir the eggs and sugar atop a double boiler or combine in a metal mixing bowl and set over a saucepan of simmering water. Use a bowl that is large enough to cover the lip of the saucepan without letting the bowl rest in the water or allowing any steam to escape.
- FOR THE CRUST: 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened dried shredded coconut
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, chilled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3 tablespoons chilled heavy cream
- FOR THE LIME CURD: 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lime peel, minced
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick), room temperature, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 5 thin lime slices
- 1 FOR THE CRUST: Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- 2 Mix flour, coconut, sugar and salt in food processor to blend. Add butter and mix until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Whisk egg yolk and cream in small bowl; drizzle over dry ingredients. Using on-off turns, process just until moist clumps form.
- 3 Divide mixture equally among five 4-inch-diameter tartlet pans with removeable bottoms; press over bottom and up sides of pans. Pierce all over with fork; chill until firm, about 15 minutes. Bake until light golden brown, about 20 minutes. Transfer pans to rack; cool completely.
- 4 FOR THE LIME CURD: Fill bottom of double boiler with enough water to come 1 inch up sides of pan.
- 5 Bring water to simmer over medium heat. Whisk eggs and sugar in top of double boiler to blend. Whisk in lime juice and peel; stir in butter pieces. Whisk over simmering water, until mixture thickens, about 15 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
- 6 DO-AHEAD TIP: Crusts and curd can be made 2 days ahead. Store crusts airtight at room temperature. Cover and refrigerate curd.
- 7 TO ASSEMBLE: Spread lime curd evenly over bottom of tarts. Chill until curd is set, at least 3 hours and up to one day. Top with lime slices and serve.
- 8 OPTIONAL GARNISH: Garnish tartlets with coconut shavings in place of lime slices. Coconut shavings can be found in bulk section of many health food stores. Or, buy fresh coconut, drain, open and make your own shavings by using vegetable peeler to remove strips approximately 2- to 3-inches long by 1/2-inch wide. Toast lightly at 275ºF until just tinged with color and to dry out the fresh coconut, about 10 minutes. You may toast purchased coconut too, if you like, but it isn't necessary.