A tasty new twist on a favorite dish that works equally well whether you’re serving for a tailgating crowd or an Easter brunch.
This recipe courtesy of Pioneer Brand, C.H.Guenther & Son, Inc.
To make ahead, prepare casserole as directed except do not bake it. Cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours. Uncover and bake as directed.
- 1 pound mild Italian sausage
- 2 1/2 cups Pioneer Original or Buttermilk Biscuit & Baking Mix
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (divided)
- 6 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped or 1 can (14.5 ounces) chopped tomatoes, drained
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 In medium skillet, brown sausage over medium heat. Remove from skillet; drain on paper towels. Place sausage in 13x9-inch baking dish that has been coated with cooking spray.
- 2 In large bowl, combine Pioneer Biscuit & Baking Mix with 1 cup of the cheese.
- 3 In medium bowl, combine eggs, milk and sour cream; stir into dry ingredients until combined.
- 4 Pour batter over sausage. In small bowl, combine tomatoes and basil; spoon over batter.
- 5 Bake at 350°F for 25 to 28 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; bake 2 to 3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Serve hot.