Chef Annie Daniel of Same Same Thai restaurant on Sunset Boulevard in Los Angeles shares her recipe for Jade Noodle Tofu. Same Same is a sister restaurant to Chao Krung in Westlake Village, from which we shared a recipe for Shrimp Pad Thai.
These two historic restaurants are both run by the women of the Kuntee family. For nearly 50 years, the Kuntee’s were influential in the evolution of L.A.’s Thai restaurant evolution. Chao Krung is the more traditional of the two, while Same Same is a bit more playful. —Editor
- As needed vegetable oil
- 1 piece tofu, sliced into 4 pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 stems yau choy (Chinese greens), chopped
- 1 bunch jade noodles
- 1 tablespoon garlic oil
- Pinch Thai white pepper powder
- As desired green onions
- Pinch cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- Dash sugar
- As needed for topping crispy garlic
- As needed for topping juice of 1 slice of lime
- 1 Heat wok with vegetable oil. Chop firm tofu into large dice and fry on medium-high heat in wok. Once tofu turns light brown, remove and set aside.
- 2 Turn heat down and add chopped garlic into the oil. Continue stirring until garlic turns light brown.
- 3 Return tofu to the wok with garlic. Stir together and transfer oil, garlic and tofu to a bowl.
Final Preparation and Serving
- 1 In large pot of boiling water, blanch the yau choy and place a small amount into a serving bowl.
- 2 Top blanched greens with blanched jade noodles.
- 3 Add 1/2 tablespoon garlic oil, sliced green onions, cilantro, and Thai white pepper powder.
- 4 Season with fish sauce and dash of sugar. Mix well.
- 5 Top with fried tofu and crispy garlic.
- 6 Serve with slice of lime squeezed over the top.