This recipe is from one of my favorite country-music icons, Martina McBride. John’s Spicy Sausage Cheese Dip is an homage to her husband and it’s absolutely perfect for game day or anytime you’re entertaining friends. The sausage definitely gives is some southern country flair!
Martina offers this hint: instead of commercial sausage, pick up a favorite smoked sausage from a local BBQ joint (John uses sausage from Jack’s BBQ in Nashville). Or, substitute browned crumbled Italian sausage instead.
©2018 by Oxmoor house: Martina’s Kitchen Mix: My Recipe Playlist for Real Life. Photo courtesy of Oxmoor House.
- 1 pound smoked sausage, diced
- 1 (32-ounce) package pasteurized prepared cheese product, cubed (such as Velveeta)
- 2 (10-ounce) cans diced tomatoes and green chiles, (such as Ro-Tel)
- Tortilla chips, for serving
- 1 Cook the sausage in a skillet over medium, 5 minutes to warm through. Transfer it to a 3-quart slow cooker set to WARM with a slotted spoon.
- 2 Add the cheese and diced tomatoes and green chiles (with the liquid from the can) to the slow cooker with the sausage, and stir well to combine. Give it a stir from time to time to keep the dip smooth.