Here is a quick fruit and vegetable salad with a sweet and tangy dressing. This Kale Cabbage and Pear Salad with Citrus Dressing makes an ideal side for grilled fish or chicken, but also pairs well with roasted meats. This recipe is perfect for slightly under-ripe pears—they add a unique texture and flavor to this colorful salad. Recipe and photo courtesy of USA Pears.
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil (or other neutral-flavored oil)
- 1 small bunch Lacinato kale, stemmed and shredded
- 1 small head red cabbage, cored and shredded
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 firm USA Pears, such as Bosc, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup walnuts, raw or toasted
- 1 For the dressing: Combine all of the ingredients in a jar with a tight-fitting lid and shake vigorously to dissolve the sugar and salt. Set aside until you are ready to dress the salad.
- 2 For the salad: In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, kale, scallions, and pears. Toss gently with the dressing to thoroughly coat the ingredients. Transfer to a clean bowl or platter and garnish with the chopped almonds.