Hundreds of thousands of king cakes are consumed during Mardi Gras. Each color of the icing represents something: yellow equals power, green equals faith, and purple equals justice.
Now, you can make this quick king cake recipe in your own home, wherever you live, without worrying about a complicated yeast dough. When I shared this recipe, the kids absolutely loved helping to make the cake. The only thing easier is ordering it from your bakery… and this version is so much better for you!
Diabetic Exchanges: 1 1/2 carbohydrate, 1 1/2 fat
- Mardi Gras King Cake:
- 2 (8-ounce) cans reduced-fat crescent rolls
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Mardi Gras Icing:
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons skim milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Yellow, green, red, and blue food coloring
- 1 To prepare cake:
- 2 Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- 3 Separate crescent rolls at perforations into 16 slices.
- 4 On 10-inch round pizza pan coated with nonstick cooking spray, place slices around pan with points in center. About half way down from the points, press seams together.
- 5 In mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar, and vanilla until creamy.
- 6 Spread cream cheese mixture on dough in center where seams of dough have been pressed together.
- 7 In another small bowl, combine butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon with fork until crumbly.
- 8 Sprinkle over cream cheese.
- 9 old dough points over cream cheese area and then fold bottom of triangle over points, forming a circular roll like a king cake.
- 10 Bake 20–25 minutes or until golden brown.
- 11 Cool slightly, drizzle with colored Mardi Gras Icing.
- 13 To prepare Mardi Gras Icing:
- 14 In small bowl, mix together confectioners’ sugar, milk, and vanilla.
- 15 Divide mixture into three bowls.
- 16 In first bowl, add a few drops yellow food coloring. In second bowl, add a few drops green food coloring.
- 17 In third bowl, add equal amount of red and blue food coloring (will create purple color).