The flavor and texture of these soft, cakelike cookies are adapted from the popular Norwegian Kringla cookies.
This recipe courtesy of Pioneer Brand, C.H.Guenther & Son, Inc.
Don’t let the shaping of these cookies scare you. When the cookies are baked, the dough spreads into perfect shapes.
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 5 cups Pioneer Original or Buttermilk Biscuit & Baking Mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 In large mixer bowl, beat sugar, butter, eggs, and vanilla on high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. With mixer on low speed, add buttermilk, beating to combine.
- 2 Add Pioneer Biscuit & Baking Mix alternately with sour cream, beating until well mixed. Chill at least 4 hours (dough will be very soft).
- 3 Work with a small amount of dough at a time and keep remaining dough chilled. On a floured surface, roll rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into pencil-like strips about 8 inches long and 1/2-inch thick. Shape into a figure-8, pretzel or letter.
- 4 Place 2 inches apart on a ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 350°F for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are just beginning to brown. Remove cookies to wire rack to cool.