This recipe courtesy of Williams-Sonoma.
A rich, buttery fresh Italian cheese, mascarpone is made from cream and is naturally sweet. It is often used in desserts, especially ones that include fruit, such as these strawberry crepes.
- For the crepes: 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cups low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon canola oil
- 8 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese, lightly whipped
- 1 cup strawberry jam
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- Finely grated zest of 1/2 orange
- 1 To make the crepes, in a blender, combine the egg, milk, lemon zest, vanilla, flour, salt and oil and process until smooth. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or as long as overnight.
- 2 To assemble, lay a crepe flat, spread with 1 tablespoon of the cheese, add 1 tablespoon. of the jam and fold the crepe into a triangle; repeat with the remaining crepes and filling. Garnish each crepe with 1 tablespoon. of the cheese, 1 tablespoon. of the jam, and some of the strawberries and orange zest.
- 3 In a crepe pan over medium heat, melt 1 tsp. of the butter to coat the pan evenly. Lift the pan at a slight angle and pour about 1/3 cup of the batter into the center, tilting the pan to spread the batter to the edges. Return the pan to the heat and cook until the crepe is golden underneath, about 2 minutes. Using a spatula, flip the crepe over and brown the other side, about 1 minute more. Transfer the crepe to a plate and cover. Repeat to make 8 crepes.